As expected, Indiana’s APR score for the men’s basketball program last year will require the program to give up scholarships.
The Hoosiers will be docked two grants, to be exact. But instead of waiting for the NCAA to mete out the punishment â€” which wouldn’t be until next spring â€” the program will not use the scholarships this season.
“We will take contemporaneous penalties pro-actively this year for upcoming ’07-08 numbers and we don’t anticipate further penalties going forward,” associate athletic director Grace Calhoun said in a statement.
Indiana, which already lost a scholarship as part of the sanctions it implemented due to the impermissible recruiting calls made by Kelvin Sampson and his staff, will be left with 10 scholarships to give. Nine are already taken, and head coach Tom Crean said Tuesday he does not anticipate using the other.
Under the APR (Academic Progress Rate) system, many schools have taken to pre-empitvely enacting punishments. Purdue gave up a scholarship last season for the numbers that were released in May of the year.
The APR calculates a school’s ability to retain student-athletes and keep them eligible.
While it’s unclear how many members of last year’s basketball team would have been eligible for next season, it’s very clear how many are left and how many have left. Seven players departed, and only Kyle Taber and Brett Finkelmeier will return.
Indiana should be able to avoid further penalties in part because Kelvin Sampson’s first team was able to raise its score 40 points from the previous season.
Crean’s Marquette team finished with an APR scored that ranked 91st out of 337 schools. Since taking the job in early April he has repeatedly emphasized a need to improve Indiana’s APR number.
“Coach Crean’s academic record at Marquette with an APR of 951 and the fact that all 26 seniors who exhausted their eligibility graduated is an example of why we feel confident in his leadership on the court and in the classroom,” said Calhoun in the statement.