Indiana football coach Bill Lynch held his post-camp, pre-season opener press conference Friday afternoon, though the most interesting news items came from the release of the depth chart and the injury report.
Some interesting tidbits follow. Look for more in tomorrow’s H-T.
- Fifth-year senior Demetrius McCray is listed at the starting running back, though Lynch pointed out that there will be another depth chart made before Thursday’s game against Eastern Kentucky and “we just needed to put something on paper.” Running back is the only position where the Hoosiers listed more than two players, with the order being McCray, redshirt freshman Darius Willis, junior Trea Burgess and fifth-year senior Bryan Payton. Lynch said McCray had a great camp and therefore has the edge, but that he expects to use all four in the opener.
- Redshirt freshman Adam Follett is listed as the backup quarterback to junior Ben Chappell, but Lynch said that can also change. True freshman Edward Wright-Baker has been working with the second stringers recently, and Lynch said that if he weren’t a true freshman, he would be the backup. However, he is still determining whether or not he will redshirt Wright-Baker and fellow true freshman quarterback Dusty Kiel, who has also seen time with the No. 2’s. Lynch considers making that decision one of his priorities in Week 1.
- Among other true freshmen, Lynch reiterated that defensive tackle Adam Replogle, brother of junior linebacker Tyler, will definitely play. Also in the mix, he said, are wide receiver Duwyce Wilson, linebacker Damon Sims, and offensive lineman Aaron Price, though Price would likely only be used if there are injuries along the line.
- Redshirt freshman Nick Freeland is listed as the starting placekicker ahead of senior Charlie Klingensmith, though Lynch said that competition could continue all week and possibly all year.
- Sophomore left guard Justin Pagan is listed as questionable after suffering an ankle injury this week. Redshirt freshman Marc Damisch is listed as his backup. Starting cornerback Donnell Jones (hamstring) and redshirt sophomore offensive lineman Andrew McDonald (ankle) are also listed as questionable. Backup safeties Jerimy Finch (ankle) and Chris Adkins (shoulder) are both probable, as is redshirt freshman starting defensive tackle Mick Mentzer (knee).