IU soccer reaches Big Ten tourney title match

Seventh-ranked Indiana used a late penalty kick from Tanner Thompson to edge Ohio State, 2-1, Friday and advance to Sunday’s Big Ten Tournament final against either Michigan State or host Maryland. Here’s the full release from IU:

A first half goal from senior defender Patrick Doody and a late penalty conversion from sophomore Tanner Thompson propelled the Hoosiers to the Big Ten Tournament final with a 2-1 victory over Ohio State on Friday afternoon at Ludwig Field in College Park Maryland.

Indiana (12-3-5) will take on the winner of Michigan and Maryland in Sunday’s championship game at 12:30 p.m. ET.

Indiana had early looks from Jamie Vollmer and Thompson, the first easily picked up by Alex Ivanov and the second wide of the net. Ohio State had a soft header from Yianni Sarris that fell right into the arms of Colin Webb.

Thompson’s corner kick in the 19th minute bounced around dangerously in the box before being cleared out by the Buckeyes.

A free kick opportunity for Indiana from 23 yards out in the 26th minute set up defender Doody, who rocketed his fourth goal of the season into the upper right.

Just seconds before Femi Hollinger-Janzen had to come out of the match after taking a blow to his head when his header attempt met with Ivanov has he tried to punch the ball out of danger. He did not return to the game.

Indiana withstood an Ohio State onslaught in the waning minutes of the second half and trailed in shots at the break. 9-5. Webb had three saves while two of IU’s five attempts were on goal.

Kyle Sparks started the second half for IU, along with Billy McConnell. Sparks picked up a yellow card in the 53rd minute after knocking down Ivanov, who had picked up the ball in the box. Tanner Thompson picked up a yellow in the 54th minute for a hard foul.

Webb used his entire body to block a shot from Sarris’ shot in the 58th minute. It was a long throw into the box from the Buckeyes that started the play.

Ohio State’s pressure broke through with the tying goal in the 69th minute as a ball headed on from Yianni Sarris found Marcus McCrary, who ran past his defender to hit the bottom of the net. At that point Indiana had just one shot in the second half, compared to five for the Buckeyes.

Indiana had a header sent wide from Jack Griffith off service from Doody. Thompson tried to get IU back in the lead in the 78th minute when his free kick was blocked wide. The ensuing corner kick from Doody was picked out by Ivanov. In the 80th minute a long throw from Jamie Vollmer found Grant Lillard, but his header was just wide.

After a scrum in the box off a Doody corner kick in the 85th minute, Vollmer had a bicycle kick that was cleared off the line by an Ohio State defender.

In the 86th minute Ohio State’s Kyle Culbertson was called for a handball in the box, setting up a penalty kick opportunity for the Hoosiers. Thompson converted for his sixth goal of the season and a 2-1 Indiana lead.

Ohio State finished with a 20-12 shot advantage, putting nine on frame. Indiana had five on goal.